Correct packing of personal effects takes skill, the right expertise and experience. We must remember we are not just moving furniture; it is people’s heirlooms, treasure and memories. Breakages and damage can only be avoided if trained packers carry out the work.
An international move will provide professional removalists who can pack properly to protect furniture with a range of wrapping techniques and materials such as:
- Specialised moving boxes and crates for TV’s, bicycles and artwork
- Shock–resistant poly bubble wrap
- Plastic protection bags for soft furnishings and delicates that will absorb moisture.
- Made to measure creates for art, antiques, musical instruments.
- Mattresses protection covers
- Wide range of carton sizes for household items.
- Preparation of white goods for packing
- Draining water from washers and fridges
- Secure the inner table in the microwave.
- Insert stabilising legs for the washing machine drum
- TV packing – and correct marking of which side the screen is facing
- Fragile kitchenware and bone china. Sharp cutlery. Paper and bubble wrapping items
- Wine glasses, vases with stems. Photo frames and fine art
- Not overload boxes with heavy items such as books
- Use Wardrobe boxes to hang and protect clothing.
Household packing does not get loaded onto pallets that can be restrained in a truck or container. Each individual item is hand loaded, placed and secured. The packing of the container has to be completed by well experienced and caring packers to ensure minimal movement at sea, correct weight distribution amongst the items and securing each item so it does not get damaged or damage items around it.
Factors that influence the cost of an international move
The number of goods to pack, wrap and move will always be the biggest contributing factor. There are unavoidable costs, such as the distance to move, but the following key points can further impact on the costs:
- Loading and access to the container
- Types of transportation required
Related Article: Expert Tips to Save $1000s on Your Move
Loading & Access:
Can the sea container and/or large truck be driven right up to the house?
If there are overhanging trees, parking restrictions or high walls, the container will have to be parked away from the house.
Is the move from an apartment where a lift is required?
Perhaps there are items in the apartment that won’t fit in a lift and an external cherry picker is required.
In either of these situations, this operation will require a relay service between the house/apartment and container. In these circumstances, the following will be required:
- Additional staff to relay between the container and the home
- Security to keep a watch on the container (South Africa)
Standard removals quotes include collection and delivery to the ground or first floor only. If the packers have to use stairs, there are usually additional costs involved, mostly because of the slower operation may require additional labour.
Combining different methods can influence the price, and are unavoidable. Not everyone lives near the port of their departure. This can vary from country to country as to whether the container travels by road or rail to the port of departure – and again when it arrives in the destination country. An example of this is Johannesburg, which is a 7–hour road/rail trip to Durban Harbour.
In many cities, parking permits are required, these can be anything from $400.00 to $800.00 depending on how long the truck needs to be parked.
Many housing complexes require a security deposit for any possible damage that may be caused.
The key to a successful move is one that is carried out professionally and with no breakages. This job falls directly into the hands of the packers.
- The amount of furniture being moved will affect the labour costs in the following way:
- The amount of furniture to disassemble – bed frames, bed legs, TV Cabinets etc
- The dimensions and weight of the furniture
- The distance to cover during packing (house size, stairs, driveway length)
- The amount of specialist packing (fine china, custom made art crates etc)
An example would be a piano, this will need special packing and wrapping, as well as 4-6 men to move the piano and secure it in the right position inside the container.
Labour costs will be influenced by the labour rates in the region and the seasonal influences in the region – British summer, for example, is a higher cost than moving in winter because there is more demand for moving in summer.
Each furniture item is wrapped and boxed. Then hand placed and secured inside the container.
Navigating the removals process should be done with trusted alliances. These are your personal and often sentimental goods. It is important to only use tried and trusted removalist.
Feedback from our clients shows that having us between the client and the removalist ensures an extra level of protection from being overcharged or taken advantage of.
For any questions, you may have, feel free to contact us.
FREE Download: Cost of Living and International Move Checklist